Frequently Asked Questions



Giving information



Q. If I want to report something, is 911 the only number to call?
A. For anything related to a crime that is occurring now or any other emergency, call 911. If in doubt, be safe and call 911.
For non-emergency reports, suspicious activity, or requests, call the non-emergency number for the Sheriff's Office or Communications.
For a list of our non-emergency phone numbers, click here



Q. Can I make a police report any time of day, or do I need to make an appointment?
A. The Sheriff's Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to any request for law enforcement assistance. We always have Deputies on the road so there may not be personnel available at the Law Enforcement Center. For a list of our non-emergency phone numbers, click here. We will send someone to your house or business when you call.



Q. Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a Deputy have to come to my house?
A. Some reports can be taken over the phone. The telecommunicator or duty officer who answers your call will determine if your report can be handled over the phone.



Q. Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?
A. No. You may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.



Q. Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
A. Yes. The Sheriff's Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The receiving Deputy who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature. The Deputy also will ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address, but you may decline to give this information and a Deputy still will respond.  For a list of our non-emergency phone numbers, click here.



Q. I have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can I do about it?
A. Call the Sheriff's Office Traffic Unit to request increased traffic patrol in your area. Click here for the phone numbers.



Q. Can I use 911 on my car phone to report drunk drivers?
A. Yes. Calls to 911 and *HP on a cellular phone are free. Do not try to pursue a drunk driver or place yourself in any danger. When you call, you will be asked for a description of the car, its location and direction.



Q. Why do the Sheriff's telecommunicators ask so many questions when I call?
A. Telecommunicators are trained to get as much information as possible to determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the Telecommunicator already has sent the information to a dispatcher while continuing to ask additional questions.



Getting information or help



Q. My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if he was involved a traffic accident?
If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call, the law enforcement agency handling the accident will notify his family. Traffic crashes in the municipalities of Gaffney and Blacksburg are handled by the respective police departments. Crashes in the unincorporated areas are handled by the South Carolina Highway Patrol. You may call the South Carolina Highway Patrol or the appropriate city police department for information. 



Q. How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone can be visited, or any other information about persons in jail?
A. Call the Cherokee County Detention Center booking room at (864) 487-2529 or click here for more information.



Q. How can I get a copy of a police report?
A. You must wait 24 hours for a police report to become available. Then call the Records Section with the case number. If you do not have the case number, you will need the location of the incident, date, and any victim or suspect information. There is no charge to victims of a crime. You may come to the Law Enforcement Center in person or for a list of our non-emergency phone numbers, click here.



Q. I was the victim of a crime. How do I find out the status of the investigation?
A. Call the Deputy who took the report or contact the Detective assigned to the case. Please have your case number available, if possible. For a list of phone numbers,
click here



Q. How do I get a concealed weapons permit?
A. You may obtain information and application packets at the Cherokee County Law Enforcement Center. You also may contact the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division at (803) 737-9000 or click here to download an application.



Q. Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle?
A. This question and others regarding firearms in the State of South Carolina are answered in the South Carolina Code of Laws. A copy of the laws relating to firearms is included in each concealed weapons application packet or you may access the Code of Laws by clicking here.



Q. I left my spouse and I am living elsewhere, but I need to get my clothing and other items. Can the Sheriff's Office help me?
A. The Sheriff's Office will send a Deputy to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your belongings. Call the Sheriff's Office from a public telephone near where your belongings are, and a Deputy will go with you to the house. The Deputy only will be able to stand by for 15 minutes to help you retrieve personal items essential for your immediate living needs. The Deputy cannot help you move items such as furniture, dishes, or stereo. Removal of these items requires a court order.



Q. I do not have any transportation and need a ride. Can a Deputy help me?
A. Deputies cannot provide rides. 



Q. Why did it take longer for a Deputy to answer my call this time than on previous calls for assistance?
A. All requests for law enforcement service are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that Deputies can respond immediately to emergencies.



Q. Someone has abandoned a vehicle in my parking lot or on my property. Can the Sheriff's Office tow it away for me?
A. The Sheriff's Office can only tow vehicles abandoned on public property. If it is on private property, the property owner must arrange with a wrecker service for the vehicle's removal. You should know that state law has certain restrictions the property owner must follow in these cases.



Q. I received a notice evicting me from my home and I'm not sure what I should do? Or, how can I evict someone from my property?
A. Eviction is a civil legal process requiring a court order. If you need advice about your specific legal situation, you should contact a lawyer. For general information about evictions, click here. For a question about your specific case, contact the Civil Division. For a list of telephone numbers, click here.



Q. What can I do about barking dogs or stray dogs and cats in my neighborhood?
A. Cherokee County Animal Control is the County agency responsible for calls involving dogs, cats, and other animals in unincorporated Cherokee County. For more information, call (864) 487-2758. 



Q. Can a Deputy open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
A. Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Sheriff's Office does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. Check the listing under "Locksmith" in the yellow pages of your local telephone book. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, call 911. The Sheriff's Office will send a Deputy to remove the child from the vehicle, possibly by breaking a window.



Q. I need to get a message to someone who does not have a telephone. Can the Sheriff's Office go to the person's home and deliver the message?
A. The Sheriff's Office delivers only messages involving an emergency or life or death situations.



Q. My family and I are going on vacation. Can a Deputy keep an eye on our home while we are gone?
A. You may call the Law Enforcement Center Duty Office and request an "extra-patrol" property check or click here for an online request. The information will be passed on to the Deputies who patrol your neighborhood. While the Sheriff's Office cannot "watch" your house, the patrol Deputies will try to check on it regularly.



Q. How can I apply for a position with the Sheriff's Office?
A. Call the Duty Office or click here for information on available positions and job requirements.



Q. I keep getting annoying "hang-up" type phone calls, where nothing is said. It is driving me crazy, and I want the calls stopped. What should I do?
A. First, report the calls to your telephone company and ask if they can investigate and trace the calls. If you know who the caller is and wish to prosecute, you can report it to the Sheriff's Office. A Deputy will talk with you and evaluate the situation.



Q. I have received several phone calls from people representing themselves as law enforcement officers and asking for donations for various charity purposes. Are they really law enforcement officers? I would like to help, but it sounds "fishy" to me.
A. Authentic law enforcement officers and departments in this county, including the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office, do not solicit funds over the telephone. However, fraternal organizations, such as the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officer's Association or the Fraternal Order of Police may make these kinds of calls. If you are contacted by anyone claiming to represent such an organization, please be careful. If you are not familiar with it, you may wish to ask the solicitor to send you information on the charity by mail. Never give your credit card number to anyone over the phone. If you wish to donate volunteer services, rather than money, you can get further information on some of the Sheriff's Office's community programs by
clicking here.



Civil Process



Q. How do I find out if the service I requested has been performed?
Contact the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office. 


Q. What is the cost of the service I am requesting?
A. All costs are established by the South Carolina Statute. Contact us to obtain an exact amount according to the type and number of services you are requesting



Q. Does the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office recommend anyone aside from the Sheriff's Office for serving process?
A. No



Q. Where should I have my documents delivered in order to have the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office serve them for me?
  Any and all documents to be served should be delivered to the Sheriff's Office Civil Division at the Cherokee County Law Enforcement Center. The Civil Division is open Monday thru Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m..